Monday, November 22, 2010

回想 〜消せない想い〜



Purpose and Intent

I am creating this blog primarily to discuss my viewpoints regarding contemporary video games, my qualms with the direction video game companies have taken, my thoughts on the importance of retro games, and questioning whether video games can be considered art or thought-provoking. As the title of my blog explicitly states "回想" or kaisou, means to reminisce in Japanese and that is exactly what I intend to do. The title is taken from one of my favorite games of all time-- Chrono Cross. I recently played the beginning of Chrono Cross and a particular moment, when Serge and Leena discuss their memories, made an impression. They reminisced on  the long happy days of childhood, free of responsibility, and the permanence and beauty of the ocean. This short but small dialogue reinforced why I play video games. I love video games that bring some of the larger questions looming in the back of our minds as humans to the forefront. Such as a childhood friend wondering if one day, her childhood friend will no longer remember her. How the ocean remains unchanging, even though we as humans change and age with each passing day. In the end, the ocean will outlive us all.





Leena:
   The sea never changes,
   does it...?
   It's been rolling in and out,
   like this, since long before
   we were born.
   It's been here for eternity,
   it seems...
   It's probably seen many things...
   Heard many things...
   It'll probably keep rolling
   in and out, in and out,
   long after our lifetime...
   Without a single change... 
 

 
Leena:
   Hey, Serge...
   Remember we used to
   sit and talk like this
   when we were kids?
   With the gentle sea
   breeze and the tranquil
   sound of the waves?
   Just the two of us...
   Talking...
Leena:
   But aren't
   memories strange?
   Just when you think that
   you've forgotten about
   something, it comes floating
   back into your heart.
   I guess it's just lying
   there in wait.
   Waiting for that right
   moment...

Leena:
   Why, we might even
   remember this very
   moment someday!
   In 10, 20 years...when we're
   all grown up and married,
   and have kids of our own...
   Then one day...
   When that time comes,
   I wonder what kind of
   adults we'll be?
   What kind of life
   will I be leading...?


 I enjoy video games that engage me with philosophical thought. Video games that create colorful, immersive worlds, peppered with beautiful songs that set the tone and feel of each zone. Within the past few years, Japanese RPGS (JRPGS) have specifically been under assault by the gaming community. Although I am western by definition, I enjoy Japanese made games because I believe they have a deeper purpose. Developers do not make them with the intent of just being entertaining. They do not promote mindless violence. Rather, they focus on themes such as love, survival, coming of age, and existence, to name a few.


I feel that video games as a genre have endless possibilities. Like books, and movies, video games can create an alternate reality that can never be. Much like when I read books or watch movies, I do not want to watch mindless cinema of attraction films, nor do I want to read books about vampires inspired by the Mormon faith. Rather, I want my works of art to make me question my existence and my way of life. I just want them to make me think.
 

1 comment:

  1. Dude I think this is an awesome blog! Keep it up.
    I totally agree that video games are more than just entertainment and can be compared with books or movies. Good games make you think rather than just mindless fun.

    ReplyDelete